IMPORTANT NOTE: In 2007 I joined Google, where I currently
work. This resume is heavily outdated and doesn't reflect my professional
experience since that date. For further information, please contact me
directly at paganini[at]paganini[dot]net.
A challenging position as a Technical Manager or Senior Systems Administrator in an
environment requiring a diverse array of technical skills.
I've been working with computers since 1984. As a curious and open minded
person, I'm naturally drawn to positions requiring a substantial knowledge and
involvement with computers. My assignments so far included system and BIOS
level programming, Systems Administration (HP-UX, Unix and Linux), network, and
database administration (Oracle). My current position, as a Technical Manager
for NDS Americas (a News Corp company), allows me to employ all these skills to
solve complex problems in a realtime digital TV broadcasting and access-control
system for Sky Latin America.
I have over 8 years of experience in Unix/Linux administration (HP-UX, SCO, ISC
Unix and various flavours of Linux), as well as networking (TCP/IP, Cisco
Routers, Switches and firewalls). I am very comfortable with Unix in general,
and in particular with the Linux operating system, which I've been using as my
desktop operating system for the last six years.
I'm also conversant with most technologies and protocols that make up the
Internet, having offered consultancy services to Internet Service Providers
between 1996 and 1999. At that time, I helped design, install, configure,
secure, and manage most aspects of various ISPs, including Web Servers, Mail
Servers, News Servers, DNS, Routers, Terminal Servers and Firewalls.
I'm proficient in many programming and markup languages, including C, ASMx86,
Shell Scripting, Perl 5, Python and HTML. I authored two open source projects:
"Angel", a simplistic Network Monitor written in Perl and "ASK", a
challenge-response anti-spam solution written in Python, for which I wrote a
paper published in the FREENIX track of the 2003 Annual Usenix Conference.
1999-2007 - NDS Americas, Miami Lakes, FL
Roles: Technical Manager (2003-2007) and Applications/Systems Engineer (1999-2003)
The primary task in this role is to support the NDS Broadcasting and
Conditional Access systems, to guarantee an uptime of over 99.5%, and minimize
chances of service interruption.
The daily mix of tasks includes HP-UX system administration, Cisco router
configuration (Frame Relay, load balancing, redundancy, routing protocols), WAN
and LAN setup, administration and monitoring, Oracle and Informix support and
Installation, Firewall monitoring and administration (Cisco PIX) and any other
requirements to maintain the systems operating at their peak.
- Responsible for the technical support to all Sky Latin America Platforms (Sky Brasil, Sky Mexico and Sky Multi-country).
- Defined backup strategies and emergency recovery procedures for all clustered and standalone servers.
- Monitoring of the applications and clustered servers using Nagios plus customized plugins and applications in Perl + SNMP.
- Configuration and management of ServiceGuard under HP-UX and "heartbeat" under Linux.
- Network performance management and analysis.
- HP-UX and Linux performance analysis and optimization.
- Oracle database performance analysis and optimization.
- Creation of a large number of smaller support tools using Python and Perl.
- Direct and full knowledge of the broadcasting system used by NDS/Sky, and all other systems related to it, including the Conditional Access and Broadcast systems, Tandberg and Harmonic multiplexors, encoders and Multiplex control computers.
1994-1999 - Brasif Duty Free, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Role: Sr. Unix/Network Administrator
- Administration of 28 Unix servers running Oracle 7, under HP-UX and SCO Unix.
- Oracle database administration.
- Design of the corporate LAN and WAN (Fast Ethernet, Cisco routers, Frame relay, X25, PPP and HDLC).
- Design and setup of the corporate Internet Gateway (Server, Cisco router using ACLs, Proxy servers and firewall setup on the Linux server)
- Definition of policies for users and network workstations (Win9X/NT).
- Creation of a centralized and automatic backup control system for the Unix servers and databases, using Omni-Back II and the built in Unix commands where Omni-back was not available.
1991-1994 - Chocolate Com de Roupas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Role: Senior Systems Analyst
- Interactive Unix support and Administration.
- Point of Sale analysis and programming.
- After 1994, (as a consultant): Netware and SCO Unix setup and administration.
1990-1991 - Casas Sendas Com. Ind, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Role: Support Engineer
- Responsible for all aspects involving data communications between the company headquarters and its units.
- User access system, running on the workstations.
- Technical ownership of the "Remote Support" system, allowing remote control of workstations installed at the branch offices.
1986-1990 - Sector Informatica, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Role: Pre/Post Sales Support Engineer
- Pre and post sale technical support on x86 hardware and OSes.
- Support for the QNX Multi-User/Multi-tasking real-time operating system.
- Rewrote a BIOS from scratch, in assembly language, and many low-level drivers for QNX and MS/DOS, using Assembly language and "C".
- Quality assurance program, written in C and assembly language.
Other experiences, as an independent consultant
- ISM Networking (Internet Provider): Linux system installation,
including all services necessary to the daily ISP operation (Sendmail,
- MTEC Networking (Internet Provider): HP-UX system setup,
administration and upgrade. Installation of the usual suite of programs
related to the Internet connectivity (Sendmail, News-Server, setup of the
- Montreal Internet Provider: HP-UX and Linux system administration.
Major changes in the whole internet setup, including upgrades, router
installation and projects related to system security and performance
- Origin Consulting: Solved all sorts of communication problems
between Origin and its ISP (Solaris x86, Cisco routers and internet routing
- Virtual Internet Provider: Installation of some internet services
and resolution of many WAN related problems.
- Universidade Federal Fluminense - Niteroi, RJ, Brazil: Bachelor in Business Degree.
- Oracle Server Database Administration.
- Oracle Server advanced Database Administration.
- Xenix administration.
- Netware administration.
- Portuguese (native)
- English (fluent)
- Spanish (basics)