I've been working with computers since 1984. As a curious and
open minded person, I'm naturally drawn to positions requiring a
substantial knowledge and involvement with computers. My assignments
so far included system and BIOS level programming, Systems
Administration (HP-UX, Unix and Linux), network, and database
administration (Oracle). My current position, as a Technical
Manager for NDS Americas (a News Corp company), allows me to employ all these skills to
solve complex problems in a realtime digital TV broadcasting and
access-control system for Sky Latin America.
I have over 8 years of experience in Unix/Linux
administration (HP-UX, SCO, ISC Unix and various flavours of Linux), as well
as networking (TCP/IP, Cisco Routers, Switches and firewalls). I am very
comfortable with Unix in general, and in particular with the Linux operating
system, which I've been using as my desktop operating system for the last six years.
I'm also conversant with most technologies and protocols that make up
the Internet, having offered consultancy services to Internet Service
Providers between 1996 and 1999. At that time, I helped design,
install, configure, secure, and manage most aspects of various ISPs, including
Web Servers, Mail Servers, News Servers, DNS, Routers, Terminal Servers and
I'm proficient in many programming and markup languages, including C, ASMx86,
Shell Scripting, Perl 5, Python and HTML. I authored two open source projects: "Angel",
a simplistic Network Monitor written in Perl and "ASK", a challenge-response
anti-spam solution written in Python, for which I wrote a paper published in the
FREENIX track of the 2003 Annual Usenix Conference.
1999-Today - NDS Americas, Miami Lakes, FL
Technical Manager (2003-Today)
Applications Engineer (1999-2003)
The primary task in this role is to support the NDS Broadcasting and
Conditional Access systems, to guarantee an uptime of over 99.5%, and
minimize chances of service interruption.
The daily mix of tasks includes HP-UX system administration, Cisco router
configuration (Frame Relay, load balancing, redundancy, routing protocols),
WAN and LAN setup, administration and monitoring, Oracle and Informix support
and Installation, Firewall monitoring and administration (Cisco PIX) and
any other requirements to maintain the systems operating at their peak.
1994-1999 - Brasif Duty Free, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Responsible for the technical support to all Sky Latin America Platforms (Sky Brasil, Sky Mexico and
- Defined backup strategies and emergency recovery procedures for all clustered and standalone servers.
broadcasting and conditional access databases (Oracle).
- Monitoring of the applications and clustered servers using Nagios plus customized plugins and applications
in Perl + SNMP.
- Configuration and management of ServiceGuard under HP-UX and "heartbeat" under Linux.
- Network performance management and analysis.
- HP-UX and Linux performance analysis and optimization.
- Oracle database performance analysis and optimization.
- Creation of a large number of smaller support tools using Python and Perl.
- Direct and full knowledge of the broadcasting system used by NDS/Sky, and all other systems related to it,
including the Conditional Access and Broadcast systems, Tandberg and Harmonic multiplexors, encoders
and Multiplex control computers.
Sr Unix/Network Administrator
1991-1994 - Chocolate Com de Roupas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Administration of 28 Unix servers running Oracle 7, under HP-UX and SCO Unix.
- Oracle database administration.
- Design of the corporate LAN and WAN (Fast Ethernet, Cisco routers, Frame relay, X25, PPP and HDLC).
- Design and setup of the corporate Internet Gateway (Server, Cisco router using ACLs, Proxy servers and firewall setup
on the Linux server)
- Definition of policies for users and network workstations (Win9X/NT).
- Creation of a centralized and automatic backup control system for the
Unix servers and databases, using Omni-Back II and the built in Unix
commands where Omni-back was not available.
Sr Systems Analyst
1990-1991 - Casas Sendas Com. Ind, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Interactive Unix support and Administration.
- Point of Sale analysis and programming.
- After 1994, (as a consultant): Netware and SCO Unix setup and administration.
1986-1990 - Sector Informatica, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Responsible for all aspects involving data communications between the company headquarters and its units.
- User access system, running on the workstations.
- Analyst in charge of the "Remote Support" system, allowing remote control
of workstations installed at the branch offices.
Other experiences, as an independent consultant
- Pre and post sale technical support on x86 hardware and OSes.
- Support for the QNX Multi-User/Multi-tasking real-time operating system.
- Rewrote a BIOS from scratch, in assembly language, and many low-level drivers for QNX and MS/DOS, using Assembly language and "C".
- Quality assurance program, written in C and assembly language.
- ISM Networking (Internet Provider):
Linux system installation, including all services necessary to the daily ISP
operation (Sendmail, News-server, etc).
- MTEC Networking (Internet Provider):
HP-UX system setup, administration and upgrade. Installation of the
usual suite of programs related to the Internet connectivity (Sendmail,
News-Server, setup of the name-server, etc).
- Montreal Internet Provider:
HP-UX and Linux system administration. Major changes in the whole internet
setup, including upgrades, router installation and projects related to system
security and performance analysis.
- Origin Consulting:
Solved all sorts of communication problems between Origin and its ISP
(Solaris x86, Cisco routers and internet routing protocol problems).
- Virtual Internet Provider:
Installation of some internet services and resolution of many WAN related problems.